You may be an ex-pat, but you know you’re as French as you’ll ever be when:
- It no longer even occurs to you to go shopping at lunchtime.
You dunk your croissant in your coffee.
- You shrug at least ten times during every conversation.
- You blame everything on Parisians.
- You actually enjoy French television programmes.
- You wouldn’t dream of coming back from the shops without a baguette and a tub of fromage blanc.
- You arrive everywhere half an hour late.
- You sing along to Jonny Halliday records.
- You no longer hanker after Heinz salad cream or McVitie’s digestives.
- You know the names of a good few of France’s 629 different types of cheese.
Any more suggestions?
Daily snippets for 28 April:
Today’s Saint: St Valerie, martyred in the second century
Famous French person born this day: in 1912, Odette Sansome Hallowes, French resistance worker
Famous French person who died this day: Peter Chanel, missionary and martyr
Today’s French word: patriotique – patriotic
Today’s expression: les grands esprits se recontrent – great minds think alike